The Substance Use Counselor is responsible for providing treatment and services in accordance with NYS O.A.S.A.S. 822 Outpatient Treatment Program regulations.
- Provides individual, group, and family counseling and discharge planning as appropriately required;
- Provides intake and screening of new applicants and participates in review/ case disposition meetings where treatment recommendations are formulated;
- Prepares treatment plans and quarterly reviews within designated time frames and in accordance with clients’ needs;
- Compiles, reports and maintains records in an accurate and timely manner in accordance with regulations;
- Participates in weekly staff meetings/case conferences;
- Prepares monthly statistics;
- Provides crisis coverage for program/agency;
- Provides information and referral to community members and other agencies requesting assistance/information;
- Maintains targeted units of service as projected in NYS OASAS work scope;
- Prepares and facilitates toxicology testing as per OASAS regulations
In addition, the below responsibilities may be required of the position:
- Provides outreach to the community
- Provides community education regarding chemical dependency
- Participates in collaborative community efforts
- Attends workshops, conferences, online trainings and staff development training seminars on current practices as directed by supervisor to acquire continuing education in the appropriate field;
- Maintains cooperative relationships with all referents and community resources
- Undertakes related duties as assigned;
The Substance Use Counselor reports directly to the Program Director and collaborates with other staff.
Bachelor’s degree in Human Services field – CASAC preferred or Master’s Degree/QHP (MLSW, LMHC, LCAT) – CASAC optional. At least three years’ experience in related field. Fluent Spanish preferred. Must be proficient with computers and excellent verbal and written skills.
*QHP includes Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor (CASAC), Credentialed Problem Gambling Counselor, Certified Teacher, Certified Health Educator, Certified School Counselor, Certified Rehabilitation Counselor, Licensed master Social Worker, Licensed Clinical social Worker, Licensed Mental Health Counselor, Licensed marriage and Family therapist, Registered Professional Nurse, Licensed Physician, Licensed Creative Arts Therapist and National Board Certified Counselor.